Jesse Van Loetzeler, who shot and killed eight people on February 10th before committing suicide, was banned from OpenAI in June last year for violating policies regarding the use of the chatbot ChatGPT.
However, the company only reported her to police after her name was made public after the shooting.
Neil Godbout, executive director of the Prince George’s Chamber of Commerce, said healthy communities are “the foundation of economic stability and growth.”
In a statement, both chambers announced that a joint resolution on the proposed ban will now be considered by the BC Chamber of Commerce.
If adopted, it will become part of a policy that the provincial legislature will submit to the B.C. government for consideration.
British Columbia’s chief coroner, Dr. Jatinder Baidwan, announced this week that the role of artificial intelligence will be considered in inquests into mass shootings.
The business groups announced the joint resolution ahead of Thursday’s virtual meeting with B.C. Premier David Eby, Tumbler Ridge Mayor Darryl Krakowka and OpenAI CEO Sam Altman.
The Canadian Press obtained a statement and resolution after the meeting, in which Eby said Altman had agreed to publicly apologize for his company’s actions.
Eby also said OpenAI will work with the state to develop federal regulatory standards for artificial intelligence and recommendations for reporting problematic user interactions.
Staff Sergeant Chris Clark, senior media relations officer for the RCMP electronic division, said in a statement that the investigation into the shooting “remains active and ongoing” and will only conclude when “all investigative avenues have been exhausted.”
“It is not possible to provide a specific or detailed schedule as it is subject to the collection and analysis of all digital and physical evidence,” he said.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 6, 2026.
Wolfgang Döpner, Canadian Press

